Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I wonder if I've ever been lied to.

Well, by a newspaper, that is.  This thought resonated through my head throughout the course of the readings we had to complete for Monday's lecture.  I don't consider myself to be a naive person, but I do tend to trust people until they give me a reason not to.  This goes for professors, friends, family and newspapers or magazines.  Now I'm starting to wonder just how much I should trust the last two.  Clearly, I know that mistakes and typos will always find a way to slide past some editor somewhere.  People make mistakes, and people miss things.  However, I'm not quite sure how someone could fabricate names and quotes and feel comfortable enough to publish it.  Just as we said in class, pulling that off takes serious talent and could be considered an art.  Oh wait...it already is!  Storytelling has been around since the beginning of time, and fictional writing is praised all the time today.  Why the journalists that fabricated names, just as Steven King and Stephenie Meyer do, is beyond me.  Part of me wants to know how some of these conniving journalists got away with lying for so long.  I understand that there may have been no reason not to believe them (other than the fact that their stories were full of lies), but some of them got away with this for far too long.  Ugh, I feel as though I'm rambling and sounding scatterbrained, but that's how I felt when I was reading the articles.  I couldn't get my brain to shut up and stop asking questions or go off about a particular lie.  Hopefully I will catch one of these liars.  I think that would be an extremely rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment