Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I hate being gullible.

This class makes me feel like I'm being lied to.  No, not the lab...but for the past two weeks, I have left lecture feeling like I need to read the paper and question every little detail.  First, we covered how some reporters have been found guilty of making up sources, details or even stories in general.  On Monday, we covered doctored photos.  What?!  Sure, I'm not so gullible as to believe that every photo I see in the paper or in a magazine isn't tampered with, but if I see a picture of four men talking, I assume that there were, indeed, only four men talking.  Our reading from this week made me realize that this is not so.  People can be taken out of photos without so much as a hair left behind.  Ok, that's fine if you're posting these pictures on Facebook and you wanted to remove the random guy that jumped into your photo with your sister, but actually publishing fake photos isn't right.  Aren't there people that check this?  Probably.  What's worse is that they most likely don't care so long as it makes their paper/magazine more visually appealing.  (<--That is only an assumption.)  I guess I'm kind of mad at myself for believing every picture I see.  I mean, I don't want to look at every photo or newstory with an extremely investigative eye.  I would rather enjoy it a bit.  What's funny to me is that I ask so many questions that it has become one of my flaws.  When people are telling me a story and I think something doesn't line up, I have no problem interrupting with a question--how rude of me!--but when I'm reading something, I don't question it, unless it is blatantly obvious that something is not right.  As I said, I do not want to start reading things and question if the murder really happened or not, but there is nothing wrong with looking at things a little more carefully than I have been.  I suppose that can be the second thing I am going to work on.  1.) Be more grammatically correct in text messages, despite what the receiver may think (see previous post) and 2.) Question things I read, but not to a fault.  

I suppose that is all for now.  Oh, and this video is what came to mind during lecture.  It's pretty crazy what computers can do.  I wonder if people were more commercial in the 1900s...

No comments:

Post a Comment